Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Inauguration Significance

The 2009 inauguration of Barrack Obama highlights for me a change in young political activity. This is the first election I could vote. It marks the end of the first and only year I intently followed politics. To many, myself included, it will be the first time we will watch an inauguration in full.

Many people believe that one vote doesn’t matter. And after the 2004 “Vote or Die” campaign, where Paris Hilton and other celebrities choose not to vote after urging the young American population to, casting a ballot seemed like a joke. This is the first time in my life that I truly believe that the people have spoken. My generation has made a conscious political decision. Probably for the first time since the Vietnam War, there is the belief that we have the power to change the government and shape the future of our country for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment