Thursday, February 12, 2009

Debate Response

I am impressed with general knowledge I gained about the Alaskan Way viaduct just from the short debate. I honestly have not kept up with the issues and am fairly uninformed on the plan. But after hearing each side, I favor building the viaduct. I think the economic issues were the most persuasive factor in my stance.

I originally didn't support this side, but examining the current economic down turn that we are experiencing, this is an issue that needs to be addressed, both for short term and long term economic health. The government needs a plan to provide jobs for people and improve the infrastructure long-term. I envision this tunnel acting on a small-scale in the same way FDR's New Deal responded to the depression.

Initial costs will be high, but I that is to be expected for a project this size. There are costs and payoffs and at this point we need to take whatever will be best both long-term and short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment